- This event has passed.
Teen Arts Academy
July 10 @ 10:00 am - July 21 @ 3:00 pm
Summer Camp Program
The Teen Arts Academy at the Museum of Art – DeLand is a unique summer camp program designed especially for kids age 12 – 15. Participating students will explore new avenues of creative thinking and innovative art making in an inspiring Museum setting. Through an array of hands-on activities with various art mediums, multimodal literacies, inquiry-based learning, educational games, reflective practices, and meaningful discussions, Teen Arts Academy participants will be encouraged to inquire, explore, reflect, CREATE, and grow!
The Teen Arts Academy meets at our downtown DeLand location at 100 N. Woodland Blvd. from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Monday-Friday of each week.
This year, we are thrilled to have Dr. Rajni Shankar-Brown design and facilitate two weeks of her interdisciplinary summer learning and arts academy, Youth Create! Dr. Shankar-Brown is an award-winning and internationally renowned Stetson University professor, published author, poet, artist, and endowed chair of social justice education.
2023 Teen Arts Academy Schedule
July 10 – 14: Creative Explorations and Leadership
This creative learning summer academy fosters curiosity, creativity, collaboration, reflection, literacy skills, empathy, and leadership. Immersive learning activities are designed to inspire creative thought processes, communication skills, and leadership abilities. Teens will nurture their creativity while exploring, developing, and building leadership skills and confidence.
July 17 – 21: Global Citizenship and the Arts
This creative learning summer academy fosters imagination, critical thinking, communication, problem-solving skills, and global citizenship. Teens will be immersed in interactive art and literacy exercises to explore, develop, and cultivate global citizenship and creativity. We will explore global issues, cultures, and diverse art & artists along with the role of art in our interconnected world.
- Registration begins March 1, 2023. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
- Meets Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Open to kids ages 12 – 15
- Located at 100 N. Woodland Blvd. on the corner of Woodland Blvd. & New York Ave.
- Tuition per 5 day weekly session: $195 Members | $220 Non-members
- Register early for a $10 discount between March 1 – 31
- Receive a $10 discount for registering multiple students OR a $10 discount for multiple weeks
For more information contact Martha Underriner, Curator of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Teen Arts Academy Policies
Cancellations and Refunds
- No fees will be returned or credits issued for failure to attend.
- There will be no make-up classes due to a student’s illness, unanticipated travel or other reasons not the responsibility of the Museum of Art – DeLand.
- If a class is canceled, students will be notified at least two (2) days prior to the date of class, and tuition will be refunded. The Museum reserves the right to substitute teachers as needed.
- A refund will be issued minus a $25 processing fee for cancellation up to 7 days prior to the beginning of the session. No refund will be issued after the 7 day deadline.
Check in/Check Out
- Students cannot be dropped off more than 15 minutes before the start of class and students are to be picked up promptly at the end of class. Please let the museum staff know if you are running late. A fee may be assessed for late pick-ups.
- Students can only be signed out by authorized adults with identification each day.
- If any changes need to be made to authorized adults for pick up list, changes must be submitted in writing to Martha Underriner.
- Campers are welcome to bring snacks, a lunch, and water bottle with them in clearly labeled containers each day. No refrigeration or microwave is available.
- If your child needs any type of medications during camp, please see Martha Underriner or Dr. Rajni Shankar-Brown on Monday at check in.
- Students may take short field trips to other locations within walking distance. Consider sending your child with a small amount of spending money.
- Art camp is messy so please send your child with comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
Ready to register? CLICK HERE.
Scholarships for the Teen Arts Academy are also available. Fill out an application here.