- This event has passed.
Fall 2023 Studio Artist Class
November 29 @ 3:15 pm - 4:30 pm
For Ages 6 - 12
The Museum of Art – DeLand’s Studio Artist Class is a course meant to grow students’ abilities technically and conceptually through a focused 4-week series of classes. Students ages 6 -12 will study elements and principles of art, in-depth techniques, and a variety of artists to inspire their work. Each 4-week session has its own theme and focus, and will change for each class.
Classes meet on Wednesdays from 3:15 – 4:30 p.m. and on Thursday mornings from 10:00 – 11:15 a.m. at our 600 N. Woodland Blvd. location.
Tuition: $60 Members | $65 Non-Members
10 students maximum per session
Fall 2023 Schedule
Wednesday afternoon sessions, 3:15 – 4:30 p.m.
Session 1A: Drawing
September 13, September 20, September 27 and October 4
Session 2A: Painting
October 11, October 18, October 25 and November 8
Session 3A: Mixed Media
November 15, November 29, December 6, December 13
Thursday morning sessions, 10:00 – 11:15 a.m.
Session 1B: Drawing
September 14, September 21, September 28 and October 5
Session 2B: Painting
October 12, October 19, October 26 and November 2
Session 3B: Mixed Media
November 9, November 16, November 30 and December 7
Students will learn techniques of drawing and mark making and how to creatively apply art elements into their own personal creations. Students will learn how to draw realistically and grow their skills by using pastels, pencil, charcoal, and other materials.
Students will learn the basics of painting and how to use acrylic, tempera, watercolor, and more. Students will focus on understanding color and design and how to create their own unique works of art.
In this session, multiple mediums will be explored and students will be able to creatively design projects that focus on combining materials in new and exciting ways.
Studio Artist Teachers
Shelby Wren is an artist specializing in painting, drawing and pottery. She has loved creating since she was young and was thrilled to learn that through an education in art, she could push her skills and knowledge to become a “career creator.”
Shelby holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History from the University of Central Florida and an Associate’s Degree in Fine Arts from Valencia College. She has exhibited her artwork in juried exhibitions and festivals in the Orlando area and was selected as an emerging artist for the Winter Springs ARToberFEST in 2016 and 2017. Shelby has been teaching children’s art classes for over 6 years and will be teaching the Wednesday afternoon sessions.
Jo Ann Raulerson attended Ringling College of Art and Design, graduating in 1977 with a fine arts degree. She has continued her education at Penland School of Arts & Crafts and Ringling Summer watercolor workshops, and watercolor workshops with Herbie Rose and Bill Maurer.
Jo Ann has taught art at Camp Create, the Orlando Museum of Art summer camp, and spent one summer teaching at Camp Carolina. She has also taught children’s art classes for 25 years. Jo Ann enjoys all mediums of art but specializes in watercolor and drawing. She has extensive experience in mosaic, handmade paper and collage. Jo Ann will be teaching the Thursday morning sessions.
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS
● There will be no make-up classes due to a student’s illness, unanticipated travel or other reasons not the responsibility of the Museum of Art – DeLand.
● If a class is canceled, students will be notified at least two (2) days prior to the date of class, and tuition will be refunded. The Museum reserves the right to substitute teachers as needed.
● A refund will be issued minus a $25 processing fee for cancellation up to 7 days prior to beginning of the session. No refund will be issued after the 7 day deadline.
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT:
● Students cannot be dropped off more than 10 minutes before the start of class and students are to be picked up promptly after the end of class. Please let the Museum staff know if you are running late. A fee of $1 per minute will be assessed for late pick up or early drop off.
● Students can only be signed out by authorized adults with identification each day.
● If any changes need to be made to authorized adults for the pick-up list, changes must be submitted in writing to Martha Underriner, Curator of Education.